TEL: 0131 3321685 EMAIL: c.mckenzie01@btinternet.com

Architectural conservation describes the process through which the material, historical, and design integrity of mankind's built heritage are prolonged through carefully planned interventions. Decisions of when and how to engage in an intervention are critical to the ultimate conservation of the immovable object. Ultimately, the decision is value based: a combination of artistic, contextual, and informational values is normally considered. In some cases, a decision to not intervene may be the most appropriate choice.

This project was finally procured independently but the early design stages were as an employee of Comhairle nan Eilean Siar and then Architecture Ltd. This involved ruin consolidation of a 15th c chapel built on the site of an earlier monastic church and Pictish Broch. The project was funded by grant aid from Historic Scotland and the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF). Construction coincided with an archaeological dig of the broch site by Birmingham University. The conservation of the stonemasonry and surviving plaster by Mark Thacker and Joel Franklin is exemplary.
Northton Chapel, South Harris | 2008-2010

This project was procured through Douglas Forrest Architects and consisted of extensive alterations to a Georgian mansion, Mayen House (1772) and its outbuildings. I was primarly involved in alterations to the coach house and walled garden. After a tender exercise, the client decided to re-locate the walled garden from its 18th c site and build the present brick-walled structure with corner pavilions and orangery. After 15 +years of maturing, the planting by garden designer and former chatelaine, Suki Urquhart now looks as if it has been there forever.
Mayen House, Coach house and Walled Garden | 1994-1997

This project was procured through Douglas Forrest Architects and consisted of extensive alterations to Tower of Lethendy, a 16th c tower house with a large 19th c addition. The main reception rooms of the house are on the first floor to take advantage of comanding views. This project created a grand dining room on the ground floor, opening out onto the garden and expanded entrance hall carved out of what had been obsolete pantries and service spaces.
Tower of Lethendy | 1994-1997

This project was procured through Douglas Forrest Architects and consisted of extensive alterations to a Jacobean Towerhouse, Dalcross Castle, its outbuildings and desmene. The coach house and gate lodge were converted into self contained dwellings occupied firstly by the family during works to the main building then by staff. The 1910 service wing of the house was re erected as ' The Green Bothy' a fishing lodge next to the River Nairn. The client also comissioned several artistic drawings of the Castle and wider estate and has recently commissioned another to reflect the current estate boundaries.
Dalcross Castle, Gate Lodge and Coach house | 1996-1997

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player